8.10.2009

The Importance of Play

It's Monday.

Again.

And I haven't had enough weekend.

Again.

Don't get me wrong. I found time to relax, & go to a movie, & spend time with friends, & enjoy a nice glass of wine, & talk about good books I have read...& talk about good books that I haven't read. I designed some jewelry, made creme brulee, & listened to the rain. (Listened to a LOT of rain!) I lit a candle & watched it burn.

I also managed to get a mountain of laundry done, restock the empty fridge, get the house neat & tidy, & cook up some wonderful meals.

But I want more.

More weekend.

More down time.

More play.

I love to play.

I'm good at it. And, quite frankly, I don't think some people make enough time for it. I'm not talking playing cards...or Monopoly...or 20 questions...or Scrabble online. I mean Play. With a capital "P".

It involves laughter. Lots of laughter.

It requires you to let yourself go a little. Or a lot. To let your hair down, to forget about responsibilities that normally weigh you down, to not worry about what that person over there that you don't know anyway thinks.

I love to play. Or did I say that already?! *wink*

I love to look at things in a light-hearted way, to find humor in things that others might miss. Sometimes, I sit back & wonder about people that look so solemn all the time. I even worry a bit about people who never laugh out loud. It's not good to be so serious.

I love to play. (Yes, I'm establishing a pattern here.)

I love to throw out a line & see who takes the bait, to see who's paying attention, & who is looking at things sideways like I am. To see who is willing to spend some time being "frivolous".

I love to play.

Sometimes I worry that people will think I lack depth. (I can have a Dark Side, if you want me too....) I can be plenty sensible & mature when I need to be. But it is much more fun to whimsical. It just is.

I love to play.

I love to sing. Out loud. In public. As I walk through stores, or along the beach...or through the office. And I love it when people join in.

I love to play.

And I've noticed it is usually the kids who play along with me. They join in on the singing. And the random picture taking. And the laughing at the foibles of human nature (behind other people's backs even).

I get stares from adults. The ones who have grown up. The ones who have forgotten how to laugh and enjoy the little things. They frown at me & don't find my playfulness at all funny.

They...are fuddy duddies.

And I don't like to play with them.

But I do love to play!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I recently resolved to put more play into my life. I'm too far down the road to play as freely as you do, but you got to be engaged, or you're wasting a life.

Surprise. I liked this one.

Jinx said...

Tag....you're it!